Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kite Ballet


These are sport kites flown in aerial ballet competition. I recorded this when we went to the Berkeley Kite Festival. We're very impressed after watching dancing kites during the "Team Kite Ballet". This one was performed by team iQuad with Stairway to Heaven as background music.


"Kite competitions have much in common with figure skating, with competitors being judged on their performance in compulsory figures as well as a "ballet", which involves artistic interpretation of music. Performances are done as individuals, a pair of pilots, or as a team. Team flying is typically the most spectacular, with up to eight pilots, their kites flying within inches of each other and narrowly averting disaster, while performing all manner of figures and formations in the air."- wikipedia.org





Join us at
for skies around the world.

16 comments:

  1. Oh what colorful kites up there in that blue sky! Nice shots

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these kinds of festivals!! Your captures are fantastic, Shey! So colorful! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post convinced me not to miss the next one.

    thanks.

    www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shey, thank you for sharing both the video and the photos. I had never heard of kite ballet--it's awesome! Happy Skywatching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! this is the first time i've heard of kite ballet. and it's awesome! thanks for sharing the video and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just amazing! I can bearly keep my kite up for 5 minutes!!! wow!
    thanks for sharing that...
    we're all smiling now!
    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! What fun it must have been to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I want to say I love your blog header! Lovely!

    Love that last picture of the kites going in different direction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skies Shey.

    Happy weekend.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O I so love seeing kites fly! A wonderful sight just like these photos! But I did not know that there were competitions like this! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen anything quite like this before! That video was stunning and I loved the still shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen a kite festival! I will have to watch for one!! I really like the three kites flying as one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shots and sky! I wanna try this kite:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! How do they do that? Incredible post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool--I also like seeing the "fighting style" where the kiters (is that a word?) glue glass fragments to the string and try to cut each others' lines.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!