Monday, July 19, 2010

Highest Waterfall


Yosemite Falls is the highest measured waterfall in North America. It's 2,425 ft from the top of the upper falls to the base of the lower falls. Yosemite Falls qualifies as the sixth highest waterfall in the world, though with the recent discovery of Gocta Cataracts, it appears on some lists as seventh.

IMG_4513b
"Lower Falls: The final 318 ft drop adjacent to an accessible viewing area,
provides the most-used viewing point for the waterfalls. Yosemite Creek
emerges from the base of the Lower Falls and flows into the Merced River nearby."
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Falls
IMG_4518b

IMG_4490b

The lower cascade almost become non-existent or turns into a trickle during the dry season. Since it rained a lot during previous months, we still got to see it in its full glory.

The downside to this place is that it gets very crowded especially on hot summer days.

IMG_4507b

Some opted to cool down in the creek near the base of the waterfall.

IMG_4515b

Join us at
to see more watery images.

15 comments:

  1. A great place to visit in the summer. It must be stunning when the sun catches the lower falls and throws rainbows across the spray. It is also so nice to see people enjoying themselves in the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this place, although we haven't visited it yet this year, which is a real pity.

    Hope to return in the fall for a little leaf peeping. No sighting of this wonderful falls though. It would be all dry by then.

    www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some waterfall! I did not notice the people in that first shot, the first time I looked at it! But that sure put the whole falls into perspective!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of the falls. I have beee there once and was amazed at how many people were there. It was like a traffic jam not cars but people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a wonderful place to visit to wash the summer heat away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great captured moments! I think you're the third person featuring Yosemite Falls! Looking at it is really refreshing and I love the sound of water too! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of photos and I enjoyed the commentary. It's been years since I've been to Yosemite. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love waterfalls, and be able to take a bath in it...wonderful. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a great place to have some fun and adventure. lovely series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't doubt it, the people at the bottom looks just like ants in size hehe! Great shot and it looks like you all had fun. Happy Wednesday!

    WateryWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing! Look how tiny the people are on the rocks compared to the falls... my goodness!
    I'll have to add Yosemite to my list of holiday destinations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I miss seeing water falls. Your water falls there are awesome. I like it that it falls from a rocky side of a mountain. BTW, I followed you here today.

    Watery Wednesday at Presque Isle

    ReplyDelete
  13. aloha,

    you have captured some beautiful water views of yosemite, love the info also


    my water views are on my sari site today

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!