Monday, May 4, 2009

Thine Enemies Convene


(To join or see more, click badges)


This rose plant (owned by neighbor) looks pretty and healthy at first glance but when you look closely, the leaves have holes in it already.

(Click on photos for a larger image)


I spy their Aphid enemies convening in the rose's petals. They're planning which areas they'll strike next.

Head Honcho Aphisayre: Eerrrmm! Listen everybody! We need to clear the upper leaves first before proceeding to the lower ones.


"Aphids, also known as plant lice (and in Britain as greenflies), are small plant-eating insects, and members of the superfamily Aphidoidea. Aphids are among the most destructive insect pests on cultivated plants in temperate regions. The damage they do to plants has made them enemies of farmers and gardeners the world over, but from a purely zoological standpoint they are a fascinating and very successful group of animals."-Wikipedia.org


Conversation of these 3 Aphids:

Aph-o: Ya know the lower leafy parts?

Alph-i: Yeah.

Aph-o: I wanna give it a go.

Aphi-ray: But ye know it's against the rules to go on yer own. How come ya wanna do this by youself? Ye gotta follow whatever the head honcho says.

Aph-o: Yeah. Sure.

Alph-i: Dont 'cha get yerself into trouble, ya hear?

Aph-o: Yeah, yeah. I hear ya.

Aphi-ray: Shush! Somebody else might hear ye.

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful series of shots. Nice camera you got there. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny, this was a very fun post. I am not much of a gardener, but I remember my Mom having a heck of a time trying to control the Aphid population on her Irises.

    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a laugh here! ;)) Poor neighbour though! Those are pretty tough guys, even if they are tiny! Great macro - and great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered what they talked about :)

    I played too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful flower ~ yuckie insects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos...The first is so pretty with the subtle yellow center....hope your neighbor takes care of the aphids :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos - and such pretty colours. Too bad about the aphids tho, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those darn aphids.....they''ll eat anything [and everything...]nice pics, you have a good eye....bye 4 now, jack c

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful shots. Love the combo meme.

    Now, I am itchy as hell though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it so cool that the macro lens exposes all. :) I love seeing aphids although not on my own plants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess sometimes you really don't want that CLOSE up view. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the color, pink white and of cours the yellow.
    Nice to read what they say....

    Maria Berg, MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great macros, the aphid theme is very clever. Enjoyed your post, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! I have a crazy neighbor (I mean like certifiable crazy) that sits next to her roses and picks each aphid off with tweezers. She spends a good 4 or 5 hours out there each day. Maybe it's therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. poor flowers. :) but nature has its way of balancing itself, so i guess there should be something good that must come out of this. :)

    LOL on the insect chat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aah, aphids. I've been trying to kill my inherited rose bush for years. Been pricked by those #*@%& thorns way too many times. Those little buggers would probably get out of line and eat all my other flowers though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catching up on my blog reading today....anyway, ladybugs are the answer! They love to feast on aphids. And they are so darn cute! You can mail order them if you don't have any in your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!