* 2 cups flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. salt
* 2 tbsp. sugar, white
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 5- 6 tbsp. ice water
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup shortening and blend well. Sprinkle with ice water; stir with fork until mixture holds together.
Cover and chill for about an hour. It will keep for about 24 hours. (Makes about 12-13 empanadas.)
Ingredients for Filling:
* 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
* 2 tbsp. minced garlic
* 1/2 medium onion, sliced
* 1 lb. ground beef
* 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
* 1/2 cup green peas
* a dash of salt, pepper & thyme
* 1 stalk spring onions, chopped
* 4 eggs, boiled
* 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
1. Heat oil, then sauté garlic and sliced onion until slightly browned.
2. Add beef and brown lightly. Add carrots, peas and stir occasionally. Adjust stove to low heat, cover pot for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
3. Season with salt, pepper and thyme according to preference. Add spring onions.
4. Mix well and set aside to cool.
5. Boil 4 eggs, cut into 4 pieces and prepare shredded cheese, if additional filling is desired.
about 4 & 1/2 - 5 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick layer.
Add 1/4 sliced boiled egg and shredded cheese, if desired.
Press edges together with fingers, to seal.
fold over to create a curled or grooved effect.
I used bologna, salami and cheese on this one.