Saturday, April 25, 2009

Snail Stare



Camera Critters

(To see more or join in the fun, click badge)

These captures are from my Quarry Lakes archive. We love to go fishing there, sometimes I get fish and sometimes only nature shots like these. Both situations fill me with equal excitement because I never go home empty- handed. Well, from a shutterbug's point of view anyway. sengihnampakgigi

(Click on picture to view a larger image)



I was lucky to chance upon a snail. It's the first time I saw this kind, so I watched it quietly.


On the photo below, it retreated into its shell because it got startled when a park ranger came by and stopped. He was curious why I was squatting by the grasses, happily snapping pictures at something. sengihnampakgigi


I left for a few minutes, so it can recover. When I returned, it was just coming out of its shell.


It regained its composure and seemed to stare at me. (SNAIL STARE, SNAIL GLARE!)


Or was it trying to say, "Hey, what's up?".


I don't know the specific name of this snail and I was too tired to peruse dozens of web pages online. Apparently, there are different types (thousands) of snails out there. If anybody recognizes this kind, please let me know. Thanks!

* I found a link of funny snail photos: tank snail, horse snail, winter snail and others.
* More about snails.

21 comments:

  1. Wow! That's really cool! Great shots!

    I played too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice photos of mr. snail and his humble abode......just out and about enjoying this fine day, cheers from jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an unusual snail!!! i have never ever seen one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog. you are so nice and so sweet, and seem like such a good person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos and info on snails. Thanks for stopping by my place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute snail in a white house. i love her taste because she's black.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great macros of the snail. I sometimes think some rangers think we photographers are a crazy lot!

    Nebrasja Birding

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots!!! I have never seen a snail in a shell like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos! It seems to be a very sociable snail ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shots. it is true that My Muskoka has a lot of photography subjects. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    P.S. love the poop picture! I always wonder about this as th seagulls fly over my head! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome pictures of the snail. We have five pet aquatic snails. One tried to climb out of the aquarium last night, not sure where he thought he was going!!! Thanks for the comments on my flamingoes. I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of the snail. You really got up close to him. Sorry I have no idea what kind it is. Thanks for stopping by mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a snail close up, thanks!!
    these photos are great

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you all visited today! :D

    Happy weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You worked your way towards a fantastic final image!!

    I can just picture you "squatting by the grasses" - it would have been a bizarre image - no wonder he stopped to see what was going on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love his white house so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are very cool shots !!!

    Love them..

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm following you now..hope you follow me too..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this sequence! How opportune that he came out for a viewing! Definitely prettier than the one I found in my garden :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!