Sunday, April 5, 2009

Beads, Hats & Volcano

Yesterday, we spent our time with our friends, Jonnie & Katy in downtown Berkeley. It has been quite awhile since we last saw them, so we were happy to see them. Our main route was in Telegraph Avenue. On weekends, there are stalls along the sidewalk which displays colorful and interesting wares or crafts.

First, we stopped by the "Beads and Rocks" store. If you're into bead jewelry, this is the place to go. They have beads in different sizes and colors as well as rocks. There's a friendly staff named Maren. She didn't bat an eyelash when yours truly went into shutterbug mode.(Yes, I asked permission first sengihnampakgigi) She even offers free jewelry-making techniques if you ask her. It's located in 2486 Channing Way in Berkeley.





They have an impressive ginormous amethyst rock right at the entrance.




More rainbow beads!





Jonnie bought a carved otter. He said it symbolizes playfulness even at work.









Next, we went to the hat store. There were tons of awesome/ cool hats there!





Of course, we did some "modeling" as we tried on several hats. (pose and pose some more senyumkenyit)







This was one of the fun hat-scarf combination I tried on.








Our cool friends. Katy bought this lovely white fairy hat.


Stalls with interesting displays.




This pendant has a grain of rice inside it. You can have your name or any word written on the tiny grain. It didn't even take a long time. Can you read the word? Just click on the photo to get a better view.





Moroccan ammonite.



After lunch, strolling and shopping, we were on our way up to Berkeley Hills. It was a ride with panoramic views, dizzying turns and extreme uphill climb. Make sure your brakes are working before you plan a trip up there!

This is a fantastic view of San Francisco. If you look closely, you can see the famous Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and the tip of TransAmerica building.


Destination: Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve.
"One of the area's highest peaks is made up of lava and volcanic debris left over from a 10-million-year-old volcano. During the past 10 million years, massive tectonic forces on the Hayward and Moraga earthquake faults uplifted the Berkeley hills, folding bedrock formations and tilting the Round Top volcano complex on its side."


A nice hike, breathtaking views and fresh air!




Tiny wild strawberry!






We had a superb time with friends and finally decided to go home. (Thanks Jonnie & Katy!)

Relaxed in the couch with a fitting toast: Mead! AHH!

18 comments:

  1. Great pics - looks like a fun time! I must see the West Coast sometime; I'm an Easterner who never got farther west than Colorado...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an Indian woman and I have visited these places. The photos of rocks,beads and hats are really amazing. The carved otter looks very funny. You can follow my blogs and let me have your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a coloutful blog! Found u at Womens Blogger Directory..... Nice work!

    http://luxuryhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at your pictures is like having half a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the shop looks so awesome! Good thing the storekeeper didn't mind you taking photos! You're advertising them anyway LOL.

    I seriously love those rainbow beads! They are so stylish! So chic!

    I love the hats too. Brings back memories of the 1920s. Okay, I was not there LOL but it's one of my favorite eras!

    Alcatraz.. that's a prison, right?

    Had fun viewing all the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous day you had! Thanks for all the great photos too - it's so good to see your part of the world, from your point of view. Warm wishes, Vxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. the whole bay area looks fantastic. i like the whole hippie vibe that survives to this day. cute pic of you and the hat...heehee, take care, jack c

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I love the beads, rocks, rice, glass, hats, view, park! Looks like you two had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and I adore it! It seems like I barely get past the outer limits of my little town anymore, so your photos really take me places. So many beautiful photos. The stages of orchid bloom were amazing!
    Your posts are positive and joyful. My own blog focuses on the positive too. I write a lot about other blogs I like so I must include yours soon.
    I'll be making time to visit your older posts. Leaving this site, I feel happy and uplifted. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fantastic weekend. I rearranged my furniture again for the twentieth time in the last 6 months so I missed the gorgeous weather. Love Berkeley and don't get there as often as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Bryan: You should! It's beautiful here!

    @ Geetha: That's cool! Nice to meet someone who's knows the place. Will check out your blog after this.

    @ Blackswan: Thanks! I think I met you at facebook too!

    @ Fran: That's great! I'm glad the photos makes you feel that way.


    @ Halfcrazy: It's awesome! I don't think she knew I'd promote it but I liked it so much, I did anyway. I did get her permission before I started shooting away. hehe :)

    The hats are fab too. I know the feeling.

    Yes, it was a prison a long time ago. Now, it's more of a tourist destination. People are curious about it.

    @ Veronica: You're welcome! I love sharing them.

    @ jackc50: It does! I wear hippie clothes too that's why I feel comfortable here. :D

    @ Carla: Indeed, lots of fun! Happy to share them with you.

    @ C.J. Keller: Thanks so much! I like looking at the bright side of life and being positive. It's nice to know that you share the same idea.

    I will go check your blog after this. Nice to meet you!

    @ A: It was! I do rearrange a lot too, so I can understand.
    Love Berkeley too. We live nearby so we hang out there often.

    THANKS ALL FOR VISITING! HAVE A LOVELY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for sending a reply to my comments. I too love beads jwellery. I am Indian aged 57 and I am grandmom of two girls. From your profile I find you are also fun loving like me. Thanks once again for following my blog.:((:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as there is permission, then! Didn't you buy any of those accessories? They're so pretty and colorful LOL so girly!

    Ever went to Alcatraz? It's really intriguing, wanna go there someday too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had fun trying on all those hats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The view must be great...I can smell the fresh air! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful blog.Beautiful background.Where did you get this from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful background and a lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Geetha: Nice to meet you. You're very welcome. I live in Oakland and hang out in Berkeley often. Maybe we can meet someday.

    Good to know, you must be proud of your grandkids! I liked the Indian recipes. Thanks for sharing!


    @ Halfcrazy: Yes, I did! I will post some when I get it done. :)

    Honestly, no! hahaha. Someone who lives nearby should have gone there but I haven't. I will put that on my to-do list! LOL! Then I will post it to show you. Hopefully when you get here someday, I will show you the sights for real.

    @ Redraven: Yup! We did! Got into modeling mode. :D

    @ LENORENEVERMORE: It is! I'm glad I could share it with you!

    @ Shanty: Thanks a lot! I made it myself from my own photo collection. If you'd like to learn about how to make it, you can check out:

    Blogger Bells and Whistles

    HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!