Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dutch Windmill : Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden

April 27

"In 1903, a pair of Dutch-style windmills were built at the extreme western end of the park. These pumped water throughout the park. The north windmill has been restored to its original appearance and is adjacent to a flower garden, a gift of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. These are planted with tulip bulbs for winter display and other flowers in appropriate seasons. Murphy's Windmill in the south of the park is currently being restored." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Park


The Dutch (North) Windmill was completed in 1902. Was repaired in 1980, when the adjacent tulip garden was also planted. ( The tulips bloom in February and March. )








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a note. Come visit anytime and have a fabulous day!